I absolutely cannot believe that this day is really here. Today is my 30th birthday and I have no clue how to feel about this. I know that it’s nothing bad and there is nothing that you can do about getting older anyway, but I think that 30 is a big thing. Birthdays in general have always been important to me and this one is of course no exception. I think my main problem is the fact that I’m not where I thought I would be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in a bad place. I just had plans that haven’t fully worked out yet and it just feels a bit weird. But I do know that I’m lucky and that I have to be grateful for everything I have: A family that loves and supports me unconditionally, even when I may be a bit old for all the support I’m getting, I have amazing friends in my life with whom I share the greatest memories, I’m working hard toward my career goals and my life truly isn’t terrible. It’s not perfect but if I learned one thing, it’s that it never is and never will be but that it is ok.
I’m currently in Barcelona with my best friend because I didn’t feel like sitting at home. And just the fact that she took time off from work and spent the money to come here with me is something I am unbelievably grateful for and we’re having an awesome time. I also have a big party planned for Saturday and I really hope that it will be a great one because I put a lot of planning into it. I will never not love birthdays, no matter how old I get and the only thing that really matters is to spend special days like this with the people you love. So I’m doing everything right and it’s definitely not the end of the world, I just have to constantly tell myself.
I sure have high hopes for my 30s because my 20s were great but also in many ways not so great and I feel like now is the time where I will hopefully really find myself and live my life to the fullest, as good as possible. However, I did want to look back on my life and remind myself of all the great things that have happened to me and which ultimately made me the person that I am today. And I like that person a lot.
01. I became god mother and I love the kid so much.
02. I visited the top travel destination on my bucket list: Hawaii.
03. I was Maid of Honor in one of my besties wedding.
04. I worked as an au pair for a year in San Francisco.
05. I swam with dolphins.
06. I finished my A-levels.
07. I partied really, really hard and definitely had amazing teenage years.
08. I built friendships that will last a lifetime.
09. I became a journalist, which has been my dream job for a very long time.
10. I spent part of my childhood living in the US and I loved growing up there.
11. I learned to stand up for myself and not let anyone rain on my parade.
12. I got my Master’s degree in American Studies.
13. I went on the craziest roller coaster rides and survived.
14. I was always 100% true to myself.
15. I started blogging years ago and I’m still doing it.
16. I travelled to beautiful places.
17. I was in the newspaper many times for different reasons.
18. I managed to build a collection of 700+ books.
19. I went to Disneyland and it was magical.
20. I achieved things that most people thought I wouldn’t.
21. I love to sing and I touched people with my voice.
22. I moved around a lot and learned to appreciate different cultures and became a very open minded person.
23. I enjoyed wonderful concerts by amazing artists like Adele, Beyoncé, Rihanna or the Backstreet Boys.
24. I visited the birth home and grave of Martin Luther King Jr., one of my ultimate heroes.
25. I saw amazing sights like the Golden Gate Bridge, Niagara Falls, Empire State Building and many more.
26. I gave speeches and wrote letters that moved other people to tears.
27. I always laughed the loudest about myself.
28. I danced barefoot in the sand.
29. I changed into a completely different person, but never my personality.
30. I lost my braces in the Pacific Ocean.