I’m turning 30 in February and I can’t say that I’m thrilled about it. Sure, it’s not a bad thing but it feels weird and it makes me miss being a child, even more. It’s definitely been a while but I will always be a kid at heart. I know how many great things come with being an adult, but currently, I’m in a constant mood to complain, so I want to point out all the things that really annoy me about being one. Just a warning, it’s a lot.
1. Having to take responsibility for everything you do. At home, at work, in life. It was so easy when you could just blame your mistakes on being a kid. Now, there is just a lot expected of you.
2. Paying bills and really having to take care of your money.
3. Driving when you really don’t feel like it. It was so nice when mom used to pick me up from school in winter, with an already warmed up car.
4. You have to get your groceries, your beauty products and always make sure you have enough of what you need. Running out of toothpaste? Your fault!
5. The older you get, the more housework you have to do. I’m currently living at home but it’s not like I don’t have to help and I lived under different circumstances where I had to do other things so yeah, just everything from cleaning to ironing is annoying.
6. Fashion is so much more complicated.
7. Toys are for children. Screw that! I may not actually play with toys anymore but I still have some and maybe even buy some. And my room looks a bit like Disneyland but yeah, it’s all kind of meant for children. I miss regular visits to the toy store.
8. School vacations were great. I mean, 6 weeks in the summer, some in spring, fall and winter, holiday’s etc. At work, you have to almost beg for time off and hope that your boss allows it.
9. As a kid, you went on vacation with your parents or on school trips etc. and most of it was paid for. Now, I hardly travel because I have no money or someone to travel with.
10. Life in general can be a total pain in the ass.
11. You can’t just eat anything you want anymore because you would get fat.
12. Spending so much time with friends was wonderful, but now, I hardly even manage to respond to an email cause the job is completely draining.
13. Since I grew up in the 90s, I now find it very annoying that I’m not in the 90s, anymore.
14. Going out makes you feel old as hell. Everyone is around 20 and you feel like 46.
15. There is no more time for naps.
16. Everyone kind of expects you to be in a relationship but my love life is non-existent and it get’s harder and harder to find a proper guy. I just want to be like “Guys, ewwwww.”
17. You constantly have to figure out your life and where to go next. Most of the time, it feels impossible.
18. My Facebook timeline is full of people getting engaged, married, having children. Meanwhile, I’m living back home, have been single for like eight years, hate my job at least every other day and just really love to dwell in self-pity.
19. I need so much more sleep than I used to. And even if I sleep for 10 hours, I’m still tired.
20. Your’re expected to act your age which is pretty much the most boring thing ever. Totally overrated.
21. Making doctor’s appointments and taking care of your health.
22. Having a car is amazing, but paying for it is just super annoying. All the money I have to pay for gas, insurance, repairs – I could go on a nice vacation for that.
23. I can hardly meet with my friends and not feel like I’m watching some housewife channel.
24. You think you’ll lose your skin problems when you get older – surprise, you don’t and they come with cellulite.
25. Finding out that all the plans you made growing up just don’t work out the way you thought they would.
26. Being unemployed for over a year was just a wonderful adulting experience…not!
27. My body comes up with new health issues pretty much every year.
28. Making real friends is so much harder. The fakeness of people is just ridiculous.
29. You don’t get a free balloon or cute face painting when you go to an amusement park or so, no free piece of sausage at the supermarket, no extras for just being a cute kid.
30. I feel like I hardly have time anymore to do the things I really love.
31. Getting your own place is so expensive.
32. Having to listen to things like “you’re clock is ticking.” Seriously, mind your own damn business.
33. No time to just spend the afternoon playing video games or watching cartoons.
34. People constantly want something from you. Meanwhile, I just want to hide in a pillow fort.
35. I can’t order from the kids menu at a restaurant and it’s ridiculous. I’m not going to apologize for wanting pizza or fries instead of something fancy.
36. “Disney is for children!” Ummm, go f*** yourself!
37. That feeling of panic you get, when you see all the great things other people your age have achieved, and you start questioning all your life decisions.
38. You realize that school didn’t really prepare you for anything.
39. That little voice in your head telling you to exercise and eat healthy because you’re definitely not 16, anymore.
40. Just the thought of how much of your hard-earned money goes toward taxes.
41. Figuring out things like how to properly wash your clothes, cook, live an adult life without burning down the house. I don’t know how often I google the most simple things or just call my mom.
42. Grocery shopping becomes the highlight of your week, depending on the status of your bank account.
43. That not so good feeling when you occasionally still need financial support from your family.
44. Feeling super bad for not having your shit together.
45. Disney completely lied about love.
46. You can get into big trouble for playing pranks.
47. A good education does not guarantee you anything. The business world is an absolute pain.
48. You get judged for everything you do.
49. You can’t get away with self-made coupons as presents, anymore.
50. Life will always be a bit like high school.
51. Nobody packs your bag or suitcase and makes sure that you have everything.
52. You’re always expected to look presentable. Well, I will forever wear leggings and I don’t really care about bras, anymore.
53. That “damnit, my parents were right, after all” kind of feeling.
54. You get a lot more noise sensitive.
55. You run out of doing things for the first time. It’s such a special feeling.
56. Work. I have a 9 to 5 job and it doesn’t give me life, at all.
57. Your eyes get worse.
58. You can’t really go to a playground without having a child with you.
59. Feeling like an old lady when getting out of bed. Sometimes, I really have to roll to the side to even have a chance at getting up.
60. The balance between getting along with all of your co-workers and not wanting to spend all of your free time with them or have them know everything about you.